The Príncipe Polisportivo was buzzing with excitement on 15 July as the much-anticipated São Tomé and Príncipe National Judo Championships took place. Organised by the World Judo Federation of São Tomé and Príncipe, the championships brought together 51 young judoka, aged 8 to 21, who demonstrated their skills and dedication to the sport. The event was a true celebration of judo talent, with 42 male and 9 female athletes demonstrating their skills and sportsmanship throughout the competition. Among the participants, 10 athletes represented São Tomé Island, while 41 athletes proudly represented Príncipe Island.
The championship provided an excellent opportunity for the young judoka of both islands to compete at the highest level and promoted camaraderie and healthy competition among the participants. The event featured a wide range of athletes demonstrating their technical skills and determination, reflecting the growth and development of judo in São Tomé and Príncipe. The São Tomé and Príncipe National Judo Championships were made possible through the combined efforts of various institutions whose unconditional support and contributions played a key role in the success of the event. The organising committee extends its sincere thanks to:
1. Dr Stephan Knabe, Honorary Consul of São Tomé and Príncipe in Germany, for the valuable support that made the event possible.
2. the Olympic Committee of São Tomé and Príncipe, for its continued commitment to promoting sport in the country.
3. Turbo CST, for the generous support that contributes to the growth and development of judo.
4. the Government of the Autonomous Region of Principe for its support and commitment to promoting sporting excellence.
5. Regional Football Federation, for their cooperation and efforts to promote sport at regional level.
6. Mr António Barros, for his valuable support and commitment in the successful organisation of the championship.
The Global Judo Federation of São Tomé and Príncipe thanks all participants, coaches and officials for their hard work and sportsmanship. The championship not only highlighted the skills of the athletes, but also reinforced the values of respect, discipline and cohesion inherent in judo. The success of the São Tomé and Príncipe National Judo Championships is a testament to the country’s commitment to developing and nurturing young sporting talent. The organising committee looks forward to future editions to continue promoting the sport of judo as a pathway to personal development and achievement. For more information about the World Judo Federation of São Tomé and Príncipe and future sporting events, please contact us.